Six cities met Thursday’s deadline to compete for the 2022 Winter Olympic Games. The cities are Almaty Kazakhstan, Beijing China, Krakow Poland, Lviv Ukraine, Oslo Norway and Stockholm Sweden.
International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach said, “I am delighted that six cities are bidding to host the 2022 Olympic Winter Games. These cities and their supporters clearly understand the benefits that hosting the Games can have and the long lasting legacy that a Games can bring to a region. Indeed, while recent Games have left an array of sporting, social, economic and other legacies for the local population, many cities that did not go on to win the right to host the Games have also noted benefits as a result of their bids”.
The six Applicant Cities will be invited to attend a seminar in Lausanne December 4 to 6 and to participate in an Observer Programme tailored to their needs during the Sochi 2014 Winter Games.
The six cities now enter Phase 1 of a two-step technical analysis that ends in the election of the 2022 host city by the IOC Session in Kuala Lumpur July 31, 2015.
At the end of Phase 1, and following a first assessment by an expert Working Group, the IOC Executive Board will select the cities that will move forward to Phase 2 of the process as Candidate Cities.
[From IOC] A summary of the key 2022 timelines can be found below:
- Deadline for NOCs to submit an Applicant City – 14 November 2013
- Applicant City Seminar – Lausanne – 4-6 December 2013
- Sochi Olympic Winter Games Observer Programme – 7-23 February 2014
- Submission of the Application File – 14 March 2014
- Selection of Candidate Cities by the IOC – Executive Board – 8-9 July 2014
- Submission of the Candidature File & Guarantees – January 2015
- IOC Evaluation Commission visits – February – March 2015
- Evaluation Commission report / Candidate City Briefing for IOC Members – May – June 2015
- Election of the 2022 Host City by the IOC Session – Kuala Lumpur – 31 July 2015
* The cities will be listed in alphabetical order until such time as the official drawing of lots is carried out by the IOC EB in December 2013. The order of drawing of lots will then be used until the election of the 2022 host city.