Tromso Withdraws From 2018 Winter Bid Race

The Norway Post reports the Board of the Norwegian Confederation of Sports (NIF) Monday withdrew Tromso’s bid for the 2018 Winter Olympic Games because of escalating costs.

Tove Paule, President of the Norwegian Olympic and Paralympic Committee and Confederation of Sports said “it was a difficult decision”.

The Olympic committee said it voted 9-3 to withdraw its request for guarantees from the Norwegian government and parliament because the Games would cost too much.

According to the Associated Press, the Olympic Committee also said there would be no Norwegian application from other cities to host the 2018 Games.

Prior to a press conference announcing the decision the board had received recommendations for a withdrawal from the regional sports organizations after it became clear last week that the cost of the Games had nearly doubled from the initial estimate.

Minister of Culture and Sports, Trond Giske, has said all along that the Games needed the full support from the sports organizations before the Government could issue a state guarantee, needed for the preparations to go ahead.

Other cities bidding for the 2018 Games include Geneva, Munich and PyeongChang.

Top
shares

Share this page now.

You may also use social share buttons on left to share any page, any time.