Four Cities On IOC Shortlist For 2016 Games
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) announced Wednesday at SportAccord in Athens Greece that four cities are on the shortlist for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games.
Although the announcement was scheduled for 6:30 p.m. local time, the briefing began 25 minutes late.
The four Candidate Cities to continue in the bid process are Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro, and Tokyo.
The IOC will select the host city for the 2016 Games October 2, 2009 in Copenhagen, Denmark.
Watch for further developments on GamesBids.com directly from the SportAccord convention in Athens. Write or read comments about this article
|Bid Status:||Rio won bid|
|Bid Date:||October 2, 2009|
|Bid Location:||IOC Congress in Copenhagen Denmark|
|Description:||Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo have been selected to the shortlist and will compete to host the 2016 Olympic Games. Baku, Doha and Prague were eliminated June 5, 2008.|
|Bid Book:||Link To Bid Book|
- IOC Loses Another Candidate as Oslo's 2022 bid is Crushed
- Oslo Drops 2022 Olympic Winter Games Bid
- IOC Won't Reopen 2022 Bidding Process
- IOC statement from Christophe Dubi, IOC Executive Director of the Olympic Games
- PyeongChang 2018 Shares Experiences